What is Chromotherapy?
Chromotherapy, also known as Color Therapy, is an alternative holistic health treatment used to improve health and alter your mood. Chromotherapy produces different color lights within an infrared sauna to create positive change within your body as a meditative aid.
Benefits of Chromotherapy
- Eases depression and anxiety (especially seasonal depression)
- Improves mood
- Improves sleep
- Boosts energy
- Has anti-aging properties
Why Chromotherapy Works
Light is an integral part of human life and color acts as a mood trigger, as well as a trigger for other psychological reactions. When light hits a surface, its wavelength changes and reveals its color, which helps indicate its significance to us. It’s an evolved trait for colors to have such profound effects on our mind and body. For example, bright fruit with saturated color is more appetizing than brown or pail-colored fruit because it indicates ripeness. When you look out at the deep blue ocean, you’ll feel calm. When the sun is setting with reds and oranges you feel energized.
These effects are so significant that they’re often implemented to achieve an intended effect. Here are a few profound examples:
- The restaurant industry discovered that people eat more food off of red plates and less off of blue ones (notice that most fast-food chains use red/orange/yellow coloring in their branding).
- Psych wards have changed their wallpaper color from pink to blue because it has a calming effect on their patients.
- Orange has been proven to inspire impulsive action, which is why e-commerce companies like Amazon, Alibaba, and Etsy use orange for their call to action buttons (“Add to Cart”, “Buy Now”, etc.) and branding.
- 95% of the world’s top 100 brands only use 1-2 colors to avoid diluting the intended reaction and maximize the brand’s recognition.
What the Chromotherapy Colors Do
Red: Brings warmth, energy and stimulation; therefore good for energy, fatigue, colds, chilly and passive people. It energizes heart and blood circulation. It energizes all organs and the senses.
Yellow: Increases neuromuscular tone. Purifies blood, helps digestion and has a cleansing effect. Strongly stimulates happiness, brings on a sense of security, as well as a strong feeling of well-being.
Green: Is a cooling, sedating color, which helps reduce swelling of joints and tissues; it calms the body’s nervous system. It’s the color of the relaxed heart.
Turquoise: Increases intuition and sensitivity. It mentally relaxes and tackles embodied psychological barriers. It acts as a tonifier and can help regulate imbalances in the lung and large intestines system. It facilitates spiritual growth.
Blue: Is a cool color that is calming. It stimulates the parasympathetic system, and reduces blood pressure and calms both breathing and heart-rate. It helps treat sleep disorders and headaches
Violet: Promotes awareness and consciousness. It increases the effects of medication. It promotes proper functioning of the lymphatic system and very helpful with menopause. It is the color for neutralizing emotional wounds and for spiritual growth.