Using a Sauna for Gastritis
What is gastritis and how can saunas from Good Health Saunas help you overcome its’ symptoms?
Gastritis, an irritation and inflammation of the stomach lining- known as mucosa.
The lining of your stomach contains special glands that produce a stomach acid known as pepsin.Pepsin breaks food down and helps to digest protein after you have eaten.
Because acids have a low pH, they easily corrode any part of your body that is unprotected. This can happen in your stomach as well. Your stomach has a thick layer of mucus that lines your stomach. This mucus layer protects your stomach from being irritated and corroded by stomach acids like pepsin.
In a situation where the lining of your stomach becomes inflamed, it begins to produce less mucus. This means that any acid that is produced after you eat has direct access to your stomach muscles. This is why people who have gastritis complain about a “burning pain”.
Gastritis may be acute (short-lived) or chronic (lasts for a long time or over a lifetime).
Gastritis can also be erosive or nonerosive:
- Erosive gastritis can cause the stomach lining to wear away. This causes erosions or ulcers- deep sores in the stomach lining.
- Nonerosive gastritis causes swelling and inflammation in the stomach lining; however, erosions or ulcers do not accompany nonerosive gastritis.
What causes gastritis?
According to research and what is known from patients reporting symptoms, gastritis is caused by 3 things.
- An infection with Helicobacter pylori. This is a type of bacteria commonly associated with infections of the digestive tract. This bacterial infection is common particularly in developing countries. The the infection often begins in childhood but most people never show any symptoms. Adults are however more likely to show symptoms of the infection as compared to children. Although it is not completely clear how the Helicobacter. pylori infection spreads, researchers think that eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water could transmit the bacteria. Some infected people have the bacteria in their saliva, which suggests that infection can spread through direct contact with saliva or other body fluids.
- Damage to the stomach lining. Taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) like aspirin and ibuprofen, drinking alcohol, using cocaine, exposure to radiation, bile reflux as a result of having a part of the stomach removed and trauma can all cause damage to the lining of the stomach and result in gastritis.
- Gastritis may also occur as a result of an autoimmune disease. In a healthy person, the immune system fights invasive cells such as bacteria,viruses and fungi. Unfortunately, in certain cases, a person’s immune system will “turn on them” and begin to attack healthy cells. This is called an autoimmune disease. In an autoimmune disease, a patient’s own immune cells begin to attack the cells of their body because the immune cells incorrectly identify those cells as “invaders”.
Symptoms of gastritis include: upper abdominal discomfort or pain, nausea and vomiting. In severe cases of gastritis, the pain may be described as a burning or sharp kind of pain.
We highly recommend that you see a doctor if such pain persists after 24-48 hours.
How is gastritis treated?
In order to be diagnosed with gastritis, you will have to see a special type of doctor called a gastroenterologist.
A gastroenterologist may ask you to stop taking particular medications, drinking alcohol or from eating foods that you may have noticed commonly trigger the pain.
A complete overhaul of your diet may be recommended.
You may also be given medications that are known to lower the amount of acid in your stomach (antacids).
While many of these lifestyle changes can alleviate symptoms and treat gastritis, infrared sauna gastritis relief is a natural healthy addition to the mix. Adding time in saunas and gastritis-friendly foods to your diet and daily routine is an excellent step to take towards relief.
When combined, saunas and gastritis treatment plans can work together to simultaneously treat the cause of gastritis and its symptoms. Sauna gastritis therapy heats the body from the inside and improves blood circulation. Increased blood flow can help relieve the inflammation and reduce painful irritation.
During sauna gastritis therapy, the infrared rays from Good Health Saunas penetrate the body and cause a brief but beneficial increase in body temperature. This “induced fever” mimics the the body’s natural mechanism to boost the immune system which will kill the gastritis-causing bacteria and rid the body of unwelcome toxins.
There is no doubt that gastritis can be an uncomfortable and deeply painful illness to have. By all means see your doctor so that they can help you identify and eliminate the root cause of your particular situation.
We know however that an infrared sauna from Good Health Saunas will help you heal naturally- always the best way- from gastritis and help to keep the disease away.